Steps for handling missing children
Missing child has been defined as a person below eighteen years of age, whose whereabouts are not known to the parents, legal guardians and any other person who may be legally entrusted with the custody of the child, whatever may be the circumstances/causes of disappearance. The child will be considered missing and in need of care and protection within the meaning of the later part of the Juvenile Act, until located and/or his/her safety/well being is established.
Steps to be followed by the Parents/Citizen in case a child is missing
- Dial 100 for police or 1098 for CHILDLINE.
- Go to the Police station and register an FIR.
- Upload the information of the child on the Khoya-Paya portal and other similar portals.
- Think about what your child was wearing when you last saw him/her. Was he/she carrying with him/her, a mobile phone, money, bank cards, any items of sentimental value such as toy etc.?
- Notify all local media assignment desks.
- Make a list of / talk to friends, acquaintances, and anyone else who might have information or clues about your child.
- If you know where your child is and you are still concerned for their safety (e.g. if they are at a house where you suspect criminal activities are taking place) you can ask the police to carry out a welfare check on that house or location.
- Parents should immediately inform the Station Master or officer concerned at nearby railway station as usually trafficking or migration of children mostly takes place through railway route.
- Rapidly create and disseminate posters to help generate leads.
- Remember - NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!
What a parents should do when a child returns home
- Contact the police. Let them know that your child has returned.
- Inform CHILDLINE 1098 in case you had asked them for help.
- Express to your child that you are happy to have him/her back home.
- Allow him/her time to settle in.
- Get medical treatment if required.
- Talk with your child.
- Get assistance and support.
Step to be followed in case a child is sighted without any guardian or found abandoned
- Ask the child if he or she is lost or knows the Name/ Address/Telephone No. location of his or her parent/guardian.
- Dial 100 for police or 1098 for CHILDLINE
- Comfort the child, however avoid physically touching him/her.
- Ask other adults in the area for assistance in reporting the incident.
- Remain in the immediate location, and do not take the child elsewhere.
- Wait with the child until help arrives.
- If you have not managed to contact any authority for help, take the child to the nearest Police Station.
- Upload the information of the child on Khoya-Paya portal or similar websites.
- Immediately contact/inform to the Station Master or officer concerned at nearby railway station as usually trafficking or migration of children mostly takes place through railway route.
Source : Khoya-Paya portal
निमणे सुदारीत : 2/12/2020
© C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.